In 1995, hg6686体育 released the 综合管理计划(CMP) for the restoration of the Pontchartrain Basin. The CMP was developed jointly with the U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and numerous other federal, 状态, 和当地的机构, 民选官员, 地区大学, sporting and recreational organizations, 公民组织, 商业捕鱼的组织, and representatives from the agricultural community and the business community. Its contributors exhaustively cataloged the threats to the Basin by sewage, 农业和城市径流, 盐水入侵, 和湿地损失.
The process began in 1991 with meetings of experts and the public, and concluded with recommended action items. The CMP listed a number of suggested mitigation efforts to solve cumulative impacts on the Basin’s water quality and habitats. The major recommendations of the final report are listed below.
- Agricultural runoff management by construction and maintenance of waste retention lagoons for livestock operations;
- Maintenance and 教育 for the owners/operators of small community/business Waste Water Treatment Plants (WWTP) and individual home WWTPs;
- Septic disposal facility construction;
- Fund parish planning and construction of larger community/regional sewerage systems and better maintenance of existing systems.
- Funding for stormwater system investigations and repairs;
- Investigate the flow balancing method of temporarily holding polluted water for later treatment;
- Investigate stormwater treatment through the use of wetlands;
- Investigate the use of bioremediation (using microorganisms) for destroying pollutants in drainage canals;
- Expanding public 教育 to reduce pollution at its source.
- Coordinate efforts to phase out the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet;
- Investigate the use of offshore structures, 海滩上的补充, and oyster reefs to combat shoreline erosion – current techniques using riprap cause damage to submerged aquatic vegetation
- Plan to integrate freshwater diversions with other projects to mitigate any potential negative effects of diversions (i.e. nutrient overloads/induced flooding/displaced fisheries).
These recommendations have served as a “road map” for Pontchartrain’s restoration. 自1995年以来, many of the listed items have been or are being addressed and numerous projects implemented. Education and outreach programs have addressed urban runoff, 湿地损失, and water quality issues for students and adults. On the ground habitat restoration projects have tackled submerged aquatic vegetation, 海岸线稳定, and using wetlands to filter and treat stormwater and waste water treatment.
PC has also partnered to develop several waste water management plans and infrastructure improvement plans, construct livestock waste retentions lagoons, implemented extensive water quality monitoring, 和其他活动.
所有这些项目, as well as plentiful technical investigations have contributed greatly to the understanding and restoration of the Pontchartrain Basin.
Comprehensive Habitat 管理计划 for the Pontchartrain Basin
With the SAVE OUR LAKE campaign declared a success in 2002, PC created a Comprehensive Habitat 管理计划 (CHMP) to provide goals, strategies and methods designed for Basin sustainability. The CHMP was developed by a science and engineering committee and reviewed by a second panel of coastal experts. For more information, please visit the other sections of our website.